Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Monster with Cat Drawing in Prismacolor Pencils

Cat Monster

Every once in a while, someone contacts me with an idea that possesses an appropriate level of weirdness. If you are in a line of work which requires you to create based on a client's requests, then you know that many ideas are...let's say "different", than what you would create on your own. This is the main reason that I put down my tattoo machines a few years ago and made the complete transition to drawing and painting. Let's face it: there are a lot of bad ideas out there. I'm not saying that all of mine are great. In fact, I beat my ideas up all the time. Just ask my wife. Many of them either end up in the trash or in a folder that I go back to when I need a fresh perspective, but you learn to take the bad with the good.

Now before I go any further, if you have ever pitched a commission to me and I accepted it, then I am not talking about you. If I did the commission, then I liked the idea. Furthermore, if I did not do the commission it doesn't mean I didn't like your idea. Most if the time I say "no" it's because I really just don't have the time or I'm in a funk and know that you wouldn't get my best work.

This Cat and Monster piece was pitched to me by a collector who already had a couple of originals from me. She was familiar with my style and her sister is a fan of my monsters. I was asked to create a monster based on another one I had done in the past, and she asked if there was any way I could add a cat. This was all the direction she gave so I was free to play around with it. The image above is what I came up with for her. It's a 9"x12" piece made with Prismacolor pencils on illustration board.

If you feel so inclined, follow along on Instagram for in-progress pics and giveaways.
~Bryan

No comments: